.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Optical tweezers for undergraduates: Theoretical analysis and experiments

M. S. Rocha

A theoretical treatment of optical tweezers is presented at a level suitable for undergraduates. We explore the Rayleigh and the geometrical optics regimes with an emphasis on the latter. We discuss a model for the geometrical optics regime, including spherical aberration effects, and show that the model can easily be implemented numerically. A comparison of the model with experimental data yields excellent agreement between theory and experiment. We also briefly discuss a theory of optical tweezers valid for microspheres of any size.

1 comment:

XiaoHu said...

Hi,

I think I'm lucky to find your blog. I'm Leonel Pauro from Peru. Now I have some trouble with the theory of the ray treatment of the forces in the optical tweezers. As I don't have access to the paper, I was wondering if you could please send me a copy. Here's my mail: lpauro21@gmail.com

Thank you.